Under the Stars - I'm up and running..

March 2018

This blog will be my record of learning about Astronomy, and in particular, my recent interest in Astrophotography. Pretty much everything I do will be based in or around the Central Coast of NSW Australia..

When I was a kid in the late 60's I remember having a small telescope for a while, from memory it might have been a low end Tasco but was more than likely just a piece of junk. Six months ago (almost 50 years later) I was passing the local Australian Geographic store and as usual took a quick glance at the Celestron Telescopes they have in the window and noticed they had a 50 percent off sale. 

Knowing bugger all about what kind of scope to buy i took the risk and ended up with a 130mm Newtonian WiFi GoTo Telescope, a couple of eyepieces, a moon filter and a copy of Astronomy Australia 2018.



Immediately I came across a frustrating issue with the telescope, it has to be controlled via a tablet/phone via WiFi but it kept dropping out meaning I had to keep restarting my alignment procedure. The problem ended up being the piddly battery pack supplied for 8 AA batteries, it wasn't supplying the power needed to keep a constant WiFi signal and drive the motors in the telescope. Solved by using a 12v car battery I had lying around.

Within the first week I spent many hours in the cold winter air looking at the Moon, Venus and Saturn. I was hooked. It didn't take long to realise I needed to learn about DSLR's and how to make them work for the night sky. Easier said than done because at this stage I know bugger all about digital SLR's other than how to use them in auto mode.



Something else I discovered in the first week is that the gear needs to be set up on solid ground. The first few nights I had it setup on the back deck and couldn't understand why my pictures were so blurred. Setting up on solid ground is a must and cured this issue.

I'll keep you in the loop as to my progress :)

Shane

Comments

Popular Posts